Suicide amoung school aged children and young people
Dr Gary Winship (Associate Professor, School of Education)
Start and end dates
November 2012 – March 2017
To gather intelligence from local stakeholders about school age suicides (8-18 yrs). Plan is to build and develop local experience and capacity for suicide case review, develop a tool kit of case data review study using current data sources (coroners’ records, child death records and serious case reviews).
Outcomes so far
- Conference - Suicide Prevention & Suicide Bereavement held 21 January 2015 at IMH.
- NSPCC Spotlight of Suicide and Self-Harm - Published November 2014. Gary Winship part of the advisory panel for the report and named in the document.
- Research - The MIN has provided a network which has supported 2 major research bids, one of which was successful (Townsend,
- DoH £597,000: research self-harm among Looked After Children and Young People).
- Conference - The challenges of tackling Self-Harm & Suicide in School Age Children & Young People held Friday 24th January 2014, University of Nottingham, Business School.